|Advertising Resource Center|
Should Your Small Business Hire an Advertising Agency?
So, you own a small business, sales are down and you've come to the conclusion you need to start advertising. Questions: Where do I advertise, how much do I spend and do I need the help of an advertising agency?
The answer to this question is really very simple. If you were going to court would you seek the advise and council of an attorney? Sure you would?
If you were sick and over the counter medicine didn't work, would you seek the care of a doctor? Of course!
So the real question is, if you're going to spend your hard earned money on advertising why wouldn't you want to seek the advise of an expert who's job is to advise you on how to most cost effectively spend your advertising dollars.
Below are just a few of the pro's and con's of hiring an advertising agency. I hope they help.
Reasons to hire an advertising agency:
· Advertising is a full time job and it can be a very timely job. Meeting with reps, going over rates and numbers. Agencies do this every day and often have a very time efficient system.
· Agencies subscribe to services that help them determine the value of the advertising they purchase. Arbitron and Nielsen are just two services that most agencies subscribe to.
· Agencies help keep the newspaper, tv and radio stations honest. It's very easy for a tv, radio or newspaper rep to take advantage of an inexperienced buyer. They know you have little understanding of share and ratings and often don't disclose important information regarding programming and times.
· Agencies often have relationships with reps and media outlets and can often negotiate on your behalf for value added commercials or space, "free stuff."
· Agencies are paid a 15% commission from the media sources they place with. They are your advocate and only make money if your advertising works and you continue to spend money. It's a very powerful reason for them to try as hard as they can to make your advertising it's best!
Reasons not to hire an advertising agency:
· You have worked in the advertising profession and have a great understand of all types of media.
· You have a very small budget and are unable to get an agency to help you.
Those are about the only reasons not to hire an advertising agency. So often, small business owners try to place media without the help and expertise of an advertising agency and usually the inevitable happens, their advertising fails and they are forever convinced that advertising doesn't work.
Buying advertising is something anyone can do, just like anyone can purchase stocks. But most importantly, are you making the right decision?
If you're a small business owner and have decided to advertise, do yourself a favor, get out your yellow pages and go directly to advertising agencies. It will be the best FREE service you'll ever receive.
Steve Moundzouris, 423-653-2201BigWater Media Group. BigWater Media Group is a full service marketing and advertising agency.
Warning: fopen(http://www.businessweek.com/rss/investor.rss) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.0 404 Not Found in /home2/johnnyj/public_html/inc/rss.inc on line 82
could not open XML input